Chemex Brewing instructions
As a general rule for brewing with a Chemex we recommend a 1:16 brew ratio, meaning for
every gram of coffee used, you will use 16 grams of water. This is a good starting point, but feel
free to adjust for your own taste.
We also recommend a slightly coarser grind than you would use for your home drip brewer or a
cone shaped pour over.
What you need:
- Chemex Brewer
- Chemex filter
- Scale, filtered water and kettle
- Bones Coffee
- 50g Coffee Medium/coarse Grind
- 800g Water@ 200°
1. Place filter inside the brewer, pre-wet filter with hot water, then dispose of excess water. - This
helps get rid of any residual paper taste from the filter and also warms the vessel.
2. Grind coffee on a medium/coarse setting (slightly coarser grind size than you generally use
for a drip coffee machine).
3. Place Chemex on scale and tare out to zero.
4. Add ground coffee to filter and place it on top of the vessel (should weigh 50 grams)
5. Tare out the scale again so it reads zero before pouring your water.
5. Begin pouring the water over the grounds slowly, 30 grams at a time, and adding 30 grams
slowly -roughly every 30 seconds.
- After 3-4 minutes, let the remaining water filter through.
- Swirl the coffee, then pour into a vessel and enjoy.